Friday, June 8, 2012

Action Research


Action research is not at all what I thought it was.  As I first glanced at the lesson, a horrible vision raced through my mind.  I pictured me pulling my hair out, not being allowed to spend time with my children, and neglecting myself all together due to the fact that I was going to be spending countless hours in the library or sitting in front of a computer digging for information.  But now I know, that is what action research is not.  However, I do know that action research is a positive way for all stakeholders to be involved in the growth of their district, school, administration, teachers, curriculum, etc., but most of all, students.  And just as many concepts in the classroom are spiraling, action research has the same effect; one question or inquiry almost always unveils another question or inquiry that needs to be investigated. I know that I need to use action research to constantly look into my district, school, classroom, and the mirror to find ways to improve student learning and growth as well as district learning and growth.  Action research allows me to actually take steps to look into all the areas of education that I have always sat and pondered.  It allows us to no longer be on the outside looking in having others tell us of our shortcomings and what needs to be done to improve them, but rather to be right there in the middle of it all, from seeking out the areas for improvement, to planning the process, and finally to carrying out the vision. I guess to sum up all my thoughts, it is a way to actually be involved or to take action in making the plans for our district’s or school’s growth by studying our schools, collecting data, analyzing, necessary research, developing a plan, and finally turning our plan into a reality.  We must also keep our eyes open for new opportunities to grow. 

We must also include reflection into our action research because, in all actuality, they seem to go hand in hand.  I feel this is true because reflection is the window into every situation or element of our school.  We must first begin our action research with reflection to gain insight into what area of our school we need to look at first.  Then, we must take the time along the way to constantly reflect on our decisions to ensure that we are headed in the right direction or if we need to realign.  When our research is complete, we must then reflect more to either determine that we were successful or determine what we could do differently to meet our goal.  I feel that a decision made in a school is never initially perfect.  It is always in need of tweaking according to the needs of our students, staff, etc.  We must always be looking at ways to reflect upon ourselves, our school, and the needs of staff and students in order to make advancements and improvements in our district/schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment